Monday, March 1, 2010

The Value of the V

I have an issue with our society. Why do we put so much value in a woman's virginity or sexual virtue? I get it. Throughout the years woman have been taught to attach emotion to our sexual activities, but seriously, why? Sex is sex is sex is sex is sex. I admit that I'm sure emotional sex means so much more than a random hookup, but that doesn't mean we can't have both. And if we do decide to have both, we should all respect the choices made by others (unless the woman in question is having sex to feel pretty)

Right. SO sexual virtue. I'm not saying that it's meaningless, but our society NEEDS to stop teaching girls that their value lies between their legs. If I wanted to have sex on a first date, the most it should say is that I felt an extremely intense attraction that I couldn't ignore. The end. I am still interesting. I am still funny (sort of). I am still intelligent. I am still pretty. I am still strange and adorably awkward. I am still many, many things that a man could be attracted to and possibly fall in love with. Sex is sex is sex is sex. At the end of the day...it is a hole. My value is not within a hole. My value is within my personality.

So, some might say that despite this truth, men will still look down upon a girl who has sex on the first date (I refuse to say "gives it up" that would suggest that I submitted to some man's desire, when I am simply indulging my own). And for every man that would look down upon me if I were to have sex early on in the relationship, well "see you later. big ups to all my haters!" I could honestly do without you, and you are the type of man that I would never commit myself to.

Au Revoir.

P.S. That wasn't very eloquent, but this is my stream of consciousness and not that of a Faulkner or Woolf character.

No comments:

Post a Comment